Foster an ARC Resident
Thank you for your interest in The Animal Refuge Center's (ARC) Foster Program. This is a brief overview of our program. It will help you decide if a foster pet or pets will fit into your home. The foster program was implemented to help provide temporary shelter for an adoptable animal when the shelter is at maximum capacity, or for underage pets not old enough for adoption, or older pets needing tender loving care, socialization and/or obedience training. Not every resident is available to be fostered. Residents to be fostered are based on ARC's needs. Before becoming a foster parent, there are some things you need to know and consider:
- You must be in compliance with all local ordinances. Foster animals of ARC will leave the shelter with a current license, rabies vaccination and current booster vaccinations.
- We recommend an isolation area at least for the first few days. Although we attempt to foster only healthy animals, we cannot guarantee pets will be 100% disease or parasite free. The foster parent should report any health or medical problems to ARC when observed. ARC will make arrangements for the animal to be seen by the ARC or local veterinarian at no cost to the foster parent. The foster parent agrees to be responsible for any out of pockets expenses incurred if you seek veterinary services from your personal veterinarian.
- ARC will assist in providing initial pet food, supplies and other necessities to the foster parent for the pet, but the foster family will need to assume these expenses once initial supplies have been depleted. Only the type of food/treats specified by ARC may be given.
- The pet is required to remain in the foster parent's custody at all times unless otherwise authorized by ARC. All pets are required to wear proper identification (provided) and be housed indoors.
- Potential foster families agree to have a home inspection performed by an ARC agent prior to being approved as a foster parent.
** We usually reply to Foster Applications in 48-72 hours. Occasionally, it may take a little longer. Please be patient! If you have not heard back from us in 4-5 business days, feel free to give us a call at (239) 731-3535. **